5468Re: [S-R] Surname identification help needed

  • John M.
    May 1, 2002
      At 04:26 PM 5/1/02 +0000, you wrote:
      >I need help identifying a Slovakian surname. This surname appears on
      >a baptism certificate (in cursive in Hungarian) of my great
      >grandfather. The baptism certificate is for Andrej Juhas (changed to
      >Yuhas in America) and is dated as 11/1/1860. His parents were noted
      >as Andrej Juhas and Maria Cisjovska (?). Location is Radoma
      >(Giraltovce - in Slovakian).

      I found an Irena C^ikovsk√° in the online SK phone directory. She is in
      Bratislava. There are many C^ik and C^ikova in the directory. The "ovska"
      sounds like a Polish or Russian feminine surname ending to me. I believe
      in Slovak it would be C^ikova if her husbands surname was C^ik. The
      diacritic mark above the "C^" means it is pronounced as "Ch". I also found
      a C^ikovsky. The feminine form might be C^ikovska.

      Can you post a scan of the name in the S-R file section so that we might
      get a better idea of what it looks like?

      John