5216Re: Church Records: Spis, Trencin areas

  • frankly1us
    Feb 1 5:31 PM
      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., "Mary Anne L. Waltz" <waltzm@r...> wrote:
      > Before I actually go to my local LDS Family Center, can some one please
      > verify that I will be asking for the correct parish registers?
      >
      > I am looking for my grandmother SOFRANKO from "Spis." According to the El=
      lis
      > Island records (she doesn't show up) and a few other bits of info I've
      > discovered, most Sofrankos were from either Kortvelyes/Spissky Hrusov or
      > Hrabko/Harapko/Hrabkov. I've identified LDS records for
      >
      > Cirkev rímsko-katolícka. Farský úrad Spisský Hrusov (Spisská Nová Ves).
      > Cirkevná matrika, 1713-1898
      > and
      > Cirkev rímsko-katolícka. Farský úrad Spisská Nová Ves (Ves Spisská Nová).=

      > Cirkevná matrika, 1626-1895
      >

      > My grandfather SIMASEK was from the Trencin region, probably Stara Bystri=
      ca.
      > I've identified LDS records for
      >
      > Cirkev rímsko-katolícka. Farský úrad Presov. Cirkevná matrika, 1610-1933
      >
      > Do these church registers cover the villages I want to research?
      >
      > Thanks for your help.
      > Mary Anne Waltz

      Before WW I, Slovakia was part of Upper Hungary (Felvidék) and
      part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire (1867-1918) and earlier a
      part of Hungary under the Austrian Empire.
      Hungarian names were used for towns and counties.

      In this forum,the term Spis has been discussed before.
      Spis^ z^upa (county) was the name for former old Hungarian Szepes megye
      (county)
      Szepes means beautiful in Hungarian.

      Spis^sky' Hrus^ov (Sk) was formerly Szepeskörtyelyes (H) and is located
      173 miles ENE of Bratislava in the Stará Nová Ves region.
      LDS filmed the R.C. parish church records.
      Cirkevná matrika, 1713-1898 Cirkev rímsko-katolícka. Farský úrad
      Spisský Hrusov
      Text in latin and Hungarian.
      film #
      1739903
      1739885

      Hrabkov (Sk) was formerly Harapkó (H) and is located 187 miles ENE of
      Bratislava in the Pres^ov region.
      (Its R.C. records (1792-1895) are under listed under Kriz^ovany)

      Stará Bystrica (Sk) was formerly O'beszterce (H) and is located 117 miles N=
      E of Bratislava in the C^adca region.

      The LDS filmed the R.C. parish church records.
      Cirkevná matrika, 1689-1895 Cirkev rímskó-katolícka.
      Farský úrad Stará Bystrica
      Text Latin and Hungarian.

      film #
      2058229