5150Re: [S-R] (unknown)

  • Peggy
    Jan 3, 2002
      -------Original Message-------

      From: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Monday, December 31, 2001 11:01:51 PM
      To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [S-R] (unknown)

      Thank you again John for the further explanation on Debilis, but I am a
      little confused about your explanation. For instance; how would they (the
      Doctors or whoever made the call of death) know the child died of Debilis (a
      cause of death primarily given to elderly death)? Since, as you say, the
      parents probably did not have the luxury of being able to see a doctor, why
      would they specify Debilis? Why not, say, using your reference again,
      congenital problems or anything else? This is very curious to me, and
      maybe I am making too much of it, but I find this vague explanation, on a
      three week old death certificate, disturbing and most probably acceptable at
      that time. My 2 cents!

      At 07:12 PM 12/31/01 -0500, you wrote:
      >Thank you John. I am sure the web sites you sent will come in handy as I
      >continue my research.
      >I guess since the child was only 3 weeks old his death today would have
      >considered a crib death.

      Crib death to me means something sudden and difficult to explain. Child
      mortality was high in those days. Any illness or congenital problem could
      easily take the life of an infant. The child could have been sickly at
      birth and simply couldn't recover. They may have been well aware of the
      condition but very seldom did anyone have the luxury of being able to see a
      doctor. Home remedies were used to cure (or kill) the patient. I remember
      hearing of one that included cow urine as an ingredient for a pneumonia