4782Re: [S-R] Use of 2 Surnames?

  • Andrea Vangor
    Oct 13, 2001
      I have seen this type of thing in my own family. There it indicated a
      process of surname adoption from a female ancestor. This occurred in some
      cases when a woman inherited property and it was passed down to her
      descendants.

      Another possibility is that the man in question was adopted, or his mother
      remarried, or some such thing. I would research his own family tree and see
      what you find in the previous generation or two. In my family, it was the
      grandchildren and later descendants who adopted their grandmother's surname.

      I have also seen cases where a man married a widow and adopted the surname
      of her first husband.

      I have not done a great deal of research on this question of surname
      adoption, but believe that it may be an outcome of the peasant system,
      officially abolished in 1848 but lingering on in local customs. Under the
      peasant system, a family did not own property outright, but had a sort of
      title to the use of land based on custom and status. If it was the Vangor
      farm, for example, and a daughter inherited part of the rights to it, then
      her husband's children would take the Vangor surname if they were living
      there and working the property.

      Keep track of the house numbers in the villages where your people lived --
      these were usually recorded in church documents in the latter part of the
      19th century. It may explain some of these mysteries to know who was living
      where.