471Re: 1883 arrival

  • sabinov@xxxxx.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
    Sep 18, 1999
      If she came in through NY and you know that date of immigration in 1883,
      you can easily order the film that covers that arrival - see the info on
      NY arrivals on my Hints page.

      The problem with NY arrivals is that the time of greatest immigration ,
      1847-1897, is not indexed in any way (tho 1820-1846 and 1897-1947 are
      thankfully), so for those inbetween years you have to have a target date
      or search the entire year.

      It can be done tho.... it took me 1 1/2 years to search all of 1885 to
      find my gr/grandmothers arrival from Ireland. Didn't tell me much new
      info as in those years detailed info was not required, but it was nice
      to know the name of the ship and the date she arrived. Plus it confirmed
      she went to Brooklyn first before she went to Connecticut.

      So don't get discouraged about searching ship arrivals, with enough
      determination (and aspirin for the eyestrain and headaches) you can do
      it!

      Maura Petzolt Mobile Alabama USA
      sabinov@...
      Helpful Hints for Successful Searching