38253Re: [S-R] Re: Looking for Vida, Pal (Paul, Paulus)

  • William C. Wormuth
    Aug 18, 2014
      Your problems are very common.  I have helped many times to resolve the problems:
      Slovakia was ruled by Hungary for over 1,000 years.  The official language until following WWI was Hungarian.
      Therefore:
      Micar [Mee-tsarr], in Hungarian spelled Miczar
      Hungarian spelling - Styava [Shtyah-vah]  Slovak St'ava.  There is an accent mark over the S and I will write it here, hoping it will appear on your computer - Šťava,  (which means Juice)  The Slovak ť is rather difficult for some to pronounce.  it is "t", with your tongue Flat, on the roof of your mouth. our American dialects make it hard to compare to our English.
      I have no explanation for Isjava .  [EEsh-yah-vah]  I would think it was misspelled

      View on www.omniglot.com/writing/slovak.htm

      Slovak language, alphabet and pronunciation
      Information about Slovak, a Western Slavic language closely related to Czech and spoken mainly in Slovakia
      Preview by Yahoo

        You may also use the GOOGLE translation found Here.

      Slovak Alphabet compared to English - Google Search
      Search Options Any time Past hour Past 24 hours Past week Past month Past year All results Verbatim About 1,640,000 results Slovak language, alphabet and pronunciation - Omniglot
      Preview by Yahoo

        You will see a small speaker symbol.  Using that will help in pronunciation.

      Martin Votruba, professor of Slovak Studies, of Pitt University has also provided this type info.

    • Show all 12 messages in this topic