38186Re: causes of death

  • curtbocha
    Jul 26, 2014

      Eileen,

      This is one of those cases where the writer is listing the symptoms and not a specific disease.  It means very painful throat.  It could be the flu, strept throat, or if it is listed as a cause (symptom) in the death of many people, it is more likely scarlet fever.  There were many epidemics of scarlet fever in Central Europe in the nineteenth century.

      CurtB

      I have been copying death records from the 19th century in "Slovakia."  I have been able to translate most causes of death but I can't figure out "dolonbus gutturis".  It seemed to be quite common.  I have looked for lists of old disease names and Latin, Slovak and Hungarian dictionaries but I can't find the translation.  Can anyone help?
      Eileen

    • Show all 2 messages in this topic