38167Re: [S-R] What does this symbol mean?

  • Joe Armata
    Jul 19 7:35 PM
      It's an abbreviation for Latin "vel", meaning "or". The person was
      known by an alternate name in the village. This was a common occurrence
      at the time, when branches of a family would develop new surnames to
      distinguish them from each other.

      Joe

    • Show all 10 messages in this topic