      From: htcstech
      Sent: Monday, March 24, 2014 2:47 PM
      Subject: Re: [S-R] Travel from villages to departure ports of Bremen, Hamburg, and Antwerp

      Just a minor contribution. I read today how the American-Hungarian Museum in Passaic New Jersey, had to close from lack of funding. What I found relevant was this quote:

      Passaic city historian Mark Auerbach said the immigrants were lured by the promise of jobs in the city’s factories and mills. (textile mills?)

      “The mills needed skilled labor,” Auerbach said. “So the mills used to send agents over to Europe to recruit workers. They came because Passaic had employment, and it had the community.”

      http://www.nemzetiregiszter.hu/passaic-s-fiscal-pinch-forces-american-hungarian-museum-from-its-home

      --------------

      The article mentions Russians, Poles and Ukrainians as well as Hungarians (I presume Slovaks and all ethnicities). What I find interesting is that the mills sent agents to recruit workers, thus they would have paid for and/or loaned the travelling costs.

      Peter M.

      On 25 March 2014 05:07, MGMojher <mgmojher@...> wrote:

      Railroads were the means of getting to the port cities. Your time period is during WWI, so that makes the travel a little more interesting. The traditional German ports may have been shut down. In which case using Italy was the nearest option.

      http://www.bueker.net/trainspotting/map.php?file=maps/slovakia/slovakia.gif This shows the railroad tracks in Slovakia. Most that are used today were in place during your time period. You can see how close a line was to your locations.

      One would hope more would have been written about the means of getting to the port cities. But in all my reading there has been very little. At the moment I cannot recall exactly which book I read how there were “agents”, usually the local priest or school teachers were most desired. All along the route agents would meet the group and make sure they were put on the correct train to their destination.

      If you have the Ship’s Manifest from the Ellis Island collection you would know which was the port of departure. Since you list three, I presume it is those. You would also have the arrival dates. This would let you know if they avoided travel during WWI or not.

      Sent: Sunday, March 23, 2014 11:54 AM

      All of my ancestors were Rusyn greek catholics who live in current villages of Trnkov/Presov District/Presov Region (Lesko) and Baskovce/Sobrance District/ Kosice Region (Dunaj or Dunay). The ancestors that I have memories of would have came to America during the 1912 to 1920 period.

      We tend to focus on the trips from the departure ports to America but what about the journeys from the home villages to the departure ports.  How did they get there? How long did it take? Where were the closest railroad lines? Any insight or reading recommendations would be appreciated.

    • Show all 14 messages in this topic