37703Re: Travel from villages to departure ports of Bremen, Hamburg, and Antwerp

  • amiak27
    Mar 23 8:48 PM
      Trnkov/Presov District Should have been Kökény, Saris county.
      I think I will repeat this posting under the title "Maps, RR Maps" so it can be found by a search.
      * * * *
      Here is a general answer to 'how my ancestors got to embarkation port' by railway, basically by the easiest and cheapest way possible. The railroads, as they were built, were that method, and generally the shortest route would be the cheapest, since they charged by the mile. Complications would be, of course, whether they took fast train or slow train. Class of passage likely did not enter into it.

      In the 1840's Hungary was in the first stages of working out the monumental cost and politics of the Chain Bridge across the Danube. We can imagine the political debate and horrendous financial challenges of building a railroad at that time. They were, as matter of fact, speculating on a railroad along the Tisa/Thies river, which would catch Slovakia in the extreme SE corner. They had all of the physical barriers to overcome, from swamps, floods and bridges and drainage to property ownership and politics.

      Once you see the railroad maps, you will see your challenge is beginning, as you have to locate your village and then estimate the easiest or best route your ancestors may have taken in leaving Hungary.

      A map of Austro-Hungarian Railways 1902 is at
      http://www.tramways.at/map.htm

      Lower on the same page, you can click on a 1911 map.
      * * * *
      1883 Map of the Austrian Empire Railway & Steamboat Communications & Routes from Karl Baedeker's book: Southern Germany and Austria, including Hungary and Transylvania
       http://depts.washington.edu/cartah/text_archive/baed/b_map1.jpg

      * * * * *
      In another thread there is the question of Starina Village  and now Reservoir, which can be located on the map at
      http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/digkonyv/topo/200e/40-49.jpg
      roughly in the center of the map. It seems to show Czirokabela instead of Sztarina as indexed in the 1877 gazetteer.

      To choose any part of Hungary-Galicia from that era, the interactive mother-page is at
      http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/digkonyv/topo/3felmeres.htm

      Eperjes/Presov is about in the center of the detailed map at
      http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/digkonyv/topo/200e/39-49.jpg

      These maps were published about 1910, and it is easy to expect military maps in WW 1 would be quite similar. In one history of WW 1 they recorded complaints that the maps were often not up to date, and that they did not show all of the local roads and bridges.
      * * * * *
      The answers to Trnkov/Presov and Starina and railroad or transportation for emigrants all seemed to blend together. I hope I didn't chop them up and mix them too much. Your challenge is getting oriented and reading the maps and recognizing the various geographic names in Slovak, Hungarian and German!

      Ron
    • Show all 14 messages in this topic