37336Re: [S-R] RE: Naturalization Papers and Passenger Lists

  • davidsadventure4
    Nov 21, 2013
      Thank you, Dave!  I was curious because of my great, great grandfather's godfather was a Hanak, and typically, a godparent was related, in some way, to the child.

      Best regards,

      David

      In a message dated 11/21/2013 11:48:09 A.M. Eastern Standard Time, dlhanak@... writes:

      It is now Varechovce, which is in the Medzilaborce District in the Prešov Region of far north-eastern Slovakia.  Here is the Cisarik link:  http://www.cisarik.com/0_Varechovce_Stropkov_PV_Zemplen_Zemplin.html

      The church records from LDS are in Repojov:  https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-267-12417-20330-46?cc=1554443&wc=M99C-WQN:n1284961911

      Hanak is a somewhat common name.  There is a region in Moravia called Hana.  My understanding is that Hanak means of or from Hana.

      On Thursday, November 21, 2013 8:41 AM, "david1law@..." <david1law@...> wrote:

      Dear Dave:

      Where is your HANAK family from?  VERIHOVCE is not familiar to me.  The reason why I ask is that an ANDREAS HANAK was the godfather of my great, great grandfather JAN BALOGA who was born in VITAZ DOLINA (near the villages of VITAZ and OVCIE) in the SARIS region of what is now Slovakia.

      Best regards,

      David

      In a message dated 11/21/2013 10:25:59 A.M. Eastern Standard Time, dlhanak@... writes:

      I have found conflicting information on the naturalization document and ship records as well.  My grandfather, Michael Hanak, has naturalization papers indicating that he came to the US from Verihovce on 9/10/1911 via New York on an unknown ship.  The application was in 1940.  I found a ship document with Michaly Hanak from Verihovce coming through Philadelphia on the Prinz Adalbert on 8/26/1911.  His destination was Johnstown, PA (which is correct).

      To reconcile both of our quandaries, maybe we need to better understand the naturalization process.  What papers would they need at the time of application?  What if they didn't have these documents?  In my grandfather's case, there is a 29 year gap between arrival and application, so how much can one put in the application information?  I would assume one of my uncles would have accompanied him to the courthouse, or where ever he had to apply and help fill out the paperwork.  None of these people are still alive to ask.   Were people taking the application "filling in the blanks" with reasonable data in order to complete the process?  Did they take the answers of someone whose second language was at face value?  To understand that process, we may be able to view the data in a better light.

      Dave

      On Thursday, November 21, 2013 5:49 AM, "lsrastatter@..." <lsrastatter@...> wrote:

      According to the Baptismal Record that was found and old letters and money orders receipts he was from Újváros, Hungary although his Petition for Naturalization and Declaration of Intention indicate Nyvarosh, Hungary.  The Naturalization Documents where filed in Cleveland Ohio in the US District Court.  I should also note that the Baptismal Dates match both his death certificate and naturalization paperwork. The date for the Prinz Oskar in my original post was a typo it should have been March 23, 1912.  When he immigrated he was 18 years old and unmarried.

      It is normal for the Naturalization documents to have a wrong ship and date on them?

      Once again Thanks for all your assistance.

      Larry

      ---In slovak-roots@yahoogroups.com, <curt67boc@...> wrote:

       Larry,
      I am looking for the Passenger List for a Janos Dzurofcsak...

      What was the date and place the petition for naturalization was made?  You obviously have some conflicting information.  You indicate that family tradition has that he immigrated before his birth date.  Is that what you meant to say?  Where did he reside in the United States?  What were the names of his wife and children if any?  How did you determine his birth date?  We may be able to locate an immigration record with the added information.

      Curt B.

      ---In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, <lsrastatter@...> wrote:

      I am looking for the Passenger List for a Janos Dzurofcsak (many more alternate spellings).  According to his naturalization paper work (Declaration of Intention and Petition for Naturalization; his last name was spelt Dorchak) he immigrated to America on or about May 18, 1912 on the Graff Waldersee into Philadelphia PA from Hamburg Germany.  However when I look at the ship's manifest he is not listed on it.  According to the other information that I have he would have been 18 years old ( Birth date April 1 , 1893 in Nyvarosh (Ujvaors) Hungary).  To make things even more complicated according to family lore he was on board the ship Prinz Oskar (which also left from Hamburg Germany and arrived at Philadelphia on March 23, 1893) and he is not listed on the ships manifest.  I am at a lost as to were to look. Has anyone else come across this issue?  I would assume that the government would have verified the information during the Naturalization process.  Some may not think its a big deal but as others know the manifest include information that is not found in the Naturalization records.  Any help to clear up the confusion would be greatly appreciated.

      Thanks again for your assistance in this matter
      Larry

    • Show all 19 messages in this topic