      From: "lkocik@..." <lkocik@...>
      To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Saturday, October 5, 2013 12:19 AM
      Subject: Re: [S-R] Slovak Research

      Dave
       have you ever used LDS [familysearch] to find church records?
       That's where I got all the ones in my trees....and for pre 1895 records it's what the professional researches use.
       Before 1895 the catholic churches were the only ones keeping track of birth/baptism, marriage, and death records except for a period during the 1840s and 1850s. Some local municipalities might have kept track but the royal families of the Kingdom of Hungary did not.
        in 1895 the Hungarian government made the churches turn over their records, which they did but made copies to keep for themselves. So after 1895 the church and the government kept records.
       The Hungarians weren't concerned about the sacraments people received [baptism, marriage, last rites, etc.], that was basically church business.
       The Hungarians did take census', but that was for tax purposes. those census records aren't much use to genealogists because they only noted property owners or people of wealth [for taxes]. the majority of Slovaks were peasant class and had nothing to tax, so they weren't noted. the one exception was the 1869 census. That was just after the 1867 war between Austria and Hungary that led to the combined Empire [Austro-Hungarian] The Austrians won that war and kept better records than the previous Kingdom of Hungry.  Anywho; that 1869 census list everyone in the empire and is very complete even describing the house, outbuildings and listing all livestock. The 1869 census is also available at LDS and is excellent for confirming data in the church records
       As for supporting documentation the church records actually verify themselves in a few different ways. You can match people to a certain family by using and cross confirming birth, marriage and death.
        What I use in birth records is house numbers, and god parents and family "do" names.
      You can find those house numbers and do names in a lot of marriage and death records too.
       With god parents usually all siblings will have the same ones. Usually the godfather will be a witness at the god child's wedding.
        So once you start amassing the records you will see how these things match up to confirm what family a person belongs to.
       I mentioned I "batch" records when I research, so I end up with all the people of a certain  family name. going by date and using what I mentioned above and sometimes a little logic families start coming together
       of course there are always glitches and errors in the records but overall it's like putting together a jig saw puzzle. By batching you have all the pieces and the more you match up, the smaller the pile gets and like a puzzle it gets easier.

        I have a tendency to digress so I'll spare you any more babbling Dave.

        Larry
         Do you have your tree online? If so could I view it?