      From: Julie Mark <jkmark@...>
      To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Thursday, September 26, 2013 12:21 AM
      Subject: RE: Re: RE: [S-R] Re: Ship manifests

      Thanks Vilo – when I change the spelling to Mitro I get some in Kocise and other eastern cities.  I’d have to look up all of them to see the layout, but near Presov could be Rusyn, right?
      From: rusnakes@...
      To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com

      So here's my question--
      Would you see someone who is ethnically Slovak or Rusyn with a first name "Andras" in records?  Would an immigrant of the time typically use a dominant culture's version of his/her name or would a name like "Andras" indicate Hungarian descent?
      Emily Rusnak
      If you have been searching Ellis Island records and found nothing perhaps they entered via another port of entry.  Ellis Island operated from 1892-1923.
      Try searching the passenger records at the other ports:
      1. Castel Garden and Barge Office Manifest 1881-1897
      2. Baltimore 1820-1948
      3. Boston 1820-1943
      4. California 1893-1957
      5. Detroit Border Crossings 1905-1957
      6. Hawaii 1942-1948
      7. New York 1951-1938
      Also check:
      Bremen Passenger lists 1920-1939
      Good Luck
      Frank Plichta
      “Searching the world for PLICHTAs”
      Any Plichta from any place at any time in history.