      From: "kate.in.the.desert.88@..." <kate.in.the.desert.88@...>
      To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Tuesday, September 17, 2013 4:51 PM
      Subject: [S-R] RE: The Zipser area

      Hello again, all!  I'm happy to know that all my ancestors from current-day Slovakia can be discussed here, and also that there are more specialized resources I can take advantage of.

      Karen, thanks for the welcome and the tip on the Karpaten group.

      Vilo, that's an excellent, informative article, thanks!

      Dr. "Q", thank you for making me feel comfortable, as a newbie, in asking questions here.

      David, thank you for your contact and other info.  I'd like to think our ancestors attended "multi-village" events in the
      Kežmarok area and enjoyed some friendly chit-chat.

      John Yowpa, thanks for the very interesting and useful map.  It must be great to have ancestors known for cheerfulness.  And learning about the tough life of most villagers in the region makes that even more impressive!

      Thomas Reimer, herzlichen Dank fürs Willkommen!  I wish I could be in Connecticut in October.  What could be a better combo than genealogy and colorful deciduous trees in autumn?  Sadly, I can't.  I'll be stuck in the southwest (home to palm, cactus, and coniferous).  Are there regional Carpathian activiities, like maybe in Arizona?

      I hope I responded to everyone.  Thanks again!

      Kate

      --- In slovak-roots@yahoogroups.com, <treimer@...> wrote:

      Hi Kate,

      I'll be happy to help. Besides my Carpathian German website, we also have a discussion group on yahoo specific to Carpathian Germans, Karpatenancestors. My Zipser ancestors from my grandfather's side are from Eisdorf and Zipser Bela. There are entirely Carpathian German, at least as long church records go. However, on my grandmother's side, mainly from Pressburg and Modern, but also some surrounding villages, they're mixed (German/Slovak/some Magyar and some French Huguenots as well). You can contact me directly, too.

      We have our annual Carpathian German meeting on October 12 in Connecticut. I will miss it for this time (I'm in Germany visiting my parents) but you'll meet many other Americans with Carpathian German ancestry.

      Thomas Reimer

    • Show all 18 messages in this topic