36726RE: Name changes

  • ultraln2001
    Sep 7, 2013

      Addendum - cousin just got back to me. He's looking for the records he has.

      --- In slovak-roots@yahoogroups.com, <ultraln2001@...> wrote:

      Hi Julie, I have collected all of the documents that I could find relative to my grandfather and related family members from Ancestry.com and double checked with MyHeritage, Family Search, Archives.com and Fold 3. I have a cousin who says he has documents of his placement at the boys's home. I have asked for them twice and he has not responded. He told me once the parents were listed as Tina Michaels and John Meshna or Valentin Meshna - I can't remember the father's name exactly but he says the name was spelled Meshna. I did a Google search for boys' homes in Baltimore and came up with the history of the juvenile detention system but not orphanages. It appears that children who were orphaned ended up vagrant and were then picked up and put in group homes run by the city or a church. My grandfather was married twice. The first marriage record says his parents' names are Valentin Meshna and Nettie, no maiden name provided. The second marriage has his parents listed as just John and Tina. I went to the passenger lists because I because I had reached a dead end. I think the name was changed from it's original spelling an my father had said we might be Czech through his father.

      It is hard to get records from Baltimore. They appear to be a closed record state. I have called Maryland Archives and tried to navigate their website. Their phone system runs you in circles and the records come up with undecipherable numbers from which you have to decided which is the correct one and order records with by the index numbers. They want $35.00 if you are requesting a birth certificate by mail. If I request a search on my grandfather his name is not really spelled Meshna then I'm out the $35.00 and will receive nothing.

      If anyone on this forum is from Baltimore and can offer me advise please do. I'm stuck.

      --- In slovak-roots@yahoogroups.com, <jmm@...> wrote:

      Jen, I'm looking at one of the trees on Ancestry. Are you talking about John V Meshna 1887-1969, died in Malden MA?

      If so, it seems to me that your best bet is to work backwards. If he died in 1969 he might well have had a Social Security number; you could send for his SS-5 (account application) which he would have filled out himself. It should name his parents. (But note that SS is getting picky about privacy; read their application info carefully, lest they blank out his parents names!!) This should also give you his date and place of birth. Now, how accurately it is filled out is another issue. ;-) If he had a Social Security number, it might be on his death certificate. If you don't have a copy of his death cert, email me privately; I live not far from Malden, and Massachusetts is an open-records state.

      He'd also be of the age to have filled out the WW II "old men's" draft card.

      I also suggest you obtain his marriage records, both civil and church. His children's baptismal records and birth records might also state his (the father's) place of birth.

      Have you tried obtaining records from the boys' home?

      If you're talking about his father, you don't have the option of the SS-5, but you could still go for marriage records and children's records.

      I'd milk the American records before grasping at straws in the immigration records; see how much solid information you can get before trying to "jump the pond."

      ~ Julie Michutka