36612Re: May I introduce myself?

  • sepalmer8
    Aug 23, 2013
      Wow, everyone has been so helpful, Thank you all. I just have to learn how to use this information.
      My Grandfather;s American name was Frank Pollock, but when he came to the US at the age of 8, his name was Pal Polyak, the same name as his father. My grandfather belonged to a Roman Catholic church. Frank was born Oct 7 1901 GGfather Pal Polyak(Paul Polak, Pollock)born Dec 15 1878. Paul states he was born in Latky Slovokia. Frank came to US at a later date with his mother Maria and passenger record states that last residence was BĂ©kescsaba. I just don't see any records on the internet for Latky Slovakia. I don't know if I need to request them from the town? I wish there was a list of instructions how to find these records. I am still looking for Maria's maiden name. Thank you all for all the information.I am studying it all and trying to learn

      > You have received a great deal of good advice in previous replies.
      >
      > What was the RELIGION of Pal POLYAK? We need that because the records for births, deaths and marriages were kepT by the church.
      >
      > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "sepalmer8" <sepalmer8@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hello all, my name is Stacey and I am new to genealogy. I am researching my Slovak Roots and I am reading and learning, but it seems I have a long way to go. My great grandfather, and grandfather (Pal,Pavel Polyak)both grandfather and great grand father had same name. My ancestors immigrated to the U.S.(Alleghany PA) from LATKY SLOVAKIA IN 1910. I am looking at a lot of posts and websites,but feel a little over whelmed. Any suggestions were to start looking for databases, and how to read them? I would be so grateful if anyone can give me a starting point.
      > >
      > > Stacey

    • Show all 22 messages in this topic