36600Re: How to Post/How to Reply to a Post???

  • Carl
    Aug 21, 2013
      Tom,
      Here is a set of guidelines that is sent to everyone when they join SR.
      CK

      Slovak-Roots Guidelines
      This is an occasional reminder of the general guidelines we use to keep the discussion on-topic, civil, and engaging.
      * Post your surnames and village names in CAPITAL LETTERS. This makes them "jump out" to others.
      * Always include a relevant topic, village, or surname in the message subject.
      * Create a new message subject to keep your question focused. "Hijacking" an existing message by changing the subject is a sure way to get your message lost. If you must reply to an existing message that will change the original thread, change the Subject line to the new topic followed by the old subject:
      New topic was Re: Old topic. A simpler way is make a new e-mail
      * We stick to genealogy topics only. The Yahoo group "Slovak World" http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Slovak-World and the Delphi Forum http://forums.delphiforums.com/iarelative/ are great place to discuss current events, recipes, and other topics of general interests.
      * Instructions on changing your e-mail subscription are found at the bottom of each posted message.
      o Search – Use the website to search 23,000 previous messages.
      o Database – A database of surnames with researcher contacts is available. It is not as robust as Helene's list http://slovakpride.homestead.com/, but it has been around for about 8 years. Worth a look.
      o Feel free to post to the web site a document or photo scan for group discussion.
      o If you need help with handwriting and are posting a scan, be sure to include enough of the surrounding page that we can compare the item of interest with other handwriting on the page.
      * Feel free to make suggestions and provide sources of information. While some members may seem "expert", there is always something new for everyone to learn!
      * Ask your question, no matter how simple or fundamental it may seem. While we have over 1,000 members, there is always an influx of new member and repeating an old topic is always helpful.

      Thank you.

      Your Moderators

      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "t.salony" <t.salony@...> wrote:

      > Does this site have, or has it ever had, simple understandable directions/suggestions on posting?
      > I'm finding it so ironic that it seems as difficult to understand today(2013)who is posting to whom, who has hijacked a thread, who has copied some part of an unknown post, etc. etc., as is has been to interpret 100+ year old records in various languages and handwriting.
      >
      > TOM

    • Show all 8 messages in this topic