36326Re: [S-R] Re: Kokinda/Kokindo Genealogy

  • MGMojher
    Jul 19, 2013
      In your posting you had “Austro-Hungary (he spoke Slovak).” In 1863 the Austro-Hungarian Empire was formed. For almost 900 years prior to that the territory that is now Slovakia was part of Hungary. The birth being registered as Austro-Hungary is correct, a year earlier it would have been Hungary. After WWI it would have been Czechoslovakia. And in 1992 it became Slovakia. History can change the names of political identity of a country, but it rarely changes the ethnic identity of those living there, in this case Slovaks (he spoke Slovak).

      If you have looked at the surnames in the four villages I you saw that Kokinda is among them. I noticed there was no Hospodar per your Helen “Nellie” Hospodar. Here is what the 1995 Slovak census had on that surname – there were 163 listings in 34 locations, the top 10 are shown. The okr. Svidnik and okr. Presov locations would have been close to your four villages. The okr. Kosice, Michalovce and Trebisov are to the south, but within the region.
      Priezvisko HOSPODÁR sa na Slovensku v roku 1995 nachádzalo 163×, celkový počet lokalít: 34, najčastejšie výskyty v lokalitách:
      MICHALOVCE, okr. MICHALOVCE – 59×;
      TREBIŠOV, okr. TREBIŠOV – 10×;
      ZÁPAD (obec KOŠICE), okr. KOŠICE – 10×;
      LOMNÉ, okr. SVIDNÍK (od r. 1996 STROPKOV) – 7×;
      NITRIANSKA STREDA, okr. TOPOĽČANY – 6×;
      STROPKOV, okr. SVIDNÍK (od r. 1996 STROPKOV) – 6×;
      PREŠOV, okr. PREŠOV – 5×;
      SVIDNÍK, okr. SVIDNÍK – 5×;
      KALUŽA, okr. MICHALOVCE – 4×;
      SENICA, okr. SENICA – 4×;