3622Re: [S-R] Ellis Island

  • John
    Apr 23, 2001
      At 02:17 PM 4/23/01 +0000, you wrote:
      >I have been searching the Ellis Island records since it
      >came online and have found nothing pertaining to my ancester.
      >I have the dates that they arrived and the port of departure.
      >I even have 3 of the ships that they sailed over on and still
      >get nothing. I even have a copy of the card to register my
      >grandmother when she arrived in New York and no records of her at
      >Ellis Island. I tried all types of spelling with no luck. Can
      >someone tell me what else to do? I do have all the petitions for
      >naturalization for my ancesters.
      >
      >Jo Ann

      Although I was lucky enough to get a large amount of material that I was
      looking for (and some by accident just because distant relatives and
      neighbors sometimes traveled together), I have not been able to locate my
      father, and my wife's grandfather although I have their Declaration of
      Intent, date of arrival and ship information. This may be part of the 30%
      that hasn't been transcribed yet. I believe the only way to do this at
      this point is to work through NARA to locate the microfilms of the ship's
      manifest. I think the films can then be rented through NARA or the LDS FHC's.

      John
    • Show all 9 messages in this topic