36011Re: [S-R] Fwd: Unable to deliver your message

  • Helen Ruatti
    May 28 10:08 AM
      Hi John,

      Welcome to the group.

      Let me tell you about my family name change. The name is Jopko in Slovakia.
      Six brothers cames to the US and I managed to find the relatives of all of
      them but only one retained the Jopko name. The "J" is pronounced like the
      "Y" in English. My relatives names ended up being YAPKO, YEPKO AND YOPKO.
      You have to remember that a large percentage of people who immigrated did
      not know how to read or write so what someone ended up writing after they
      got to the US was what they used.

      My family is from Circ and I have been lucky enough to find and visit
      relatives 4 times. You need to plan on visiting. On all my trips I went
      with Helene Cincebeaux's group. We visited a lot of Slovak towns, cities,
      festivals, etc. and then I took off a day, with a translator, to visit
      first my Mother's family in Circ and then my Father's family in Kosice.

      Good luck with your research. It is a wonderful trip finding not only about
      your family but also the history along the way.

      Helen Gagyo Ruatti