35940Re: [S-R] Relations in Kassa 1939/US mail service

  • ycrtmr
    May 11 4:51 AM
      @@T

      As Catholics, they would normally not have had any problems in Slovakia--the authoritarian Slovak State created in March 1939 was, after all, strongly Catholic. However, since the US did not recognize independent Slovakia, I'm not sure if regular international mail service was available from the US to Slovakia. This of course would apply if they had moved away to another place in Slovakia, since Kassa was returned to Hungary from November 1938 till the end of WW II, another change the US did not recognize. Does anyone know more about whether US mail service was available at all for the area?

      Thomas

      ---- T <h_tollefson2001@...> wrote:
      > I also know that they wrote letters back and forth for a long time but when Hitler came to power and WWII started they never heard from them again.
      >
      > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "T" <h_tollefson2001@...> wrote:
      > >

      > > I beleve that they spoke Slovak and I do know that grandma beloned to a slovak Catholic ladies group when she lived in Tacoma WA.
    • Show all 16 messages in this topic