35906Re: [S-R] where is this or what is it? Kassa

  • Julie Michutka
    May 7, 2013
      On May 7, 2013, at 7:26 AM, <treimer@...> <treimer@...> wrote:

      > what language did your grandparents speak at home

      Even this might not be as straightforward as one might think. Think about dialect and border areas. My dad would have said that his parents spoke "Czech" because at the time he lived Slovakia was part of Czechoslovakia. In addition, the family speech was apparently a mish-mash, as my grandfather had spent some time in Germany in his youth, and my step-great-grandfather (with whom my dad and his sibs had constant contact) was Russian. And yet the family came from a part of Slovakia that Slovaks themselves tell me speaks a very "pure" (whatever that means) version of Slovak.

      Trying to guess the town name based solely on a long-remembered, handed-down, and possibly corrupt "sounds like" has a small chance of success--we *have* sometimes had success here on this board, doing this-- and a decent chance of leading one astray. Hunting for documents with information about origin can be slow but is almost always successful, and usually accurate.

      Julie Michutka
      jmm@...