35903Re: where is this or what is it?

  • Ron
    May 6, 2013
      In addition to what Julie suggested, I hope you can give us some additional hints to locate the area. What language did the family speak at home? Was it Czech? Slovak? Was there a second language? Were there any other hints, family stories about home, church or history, conflict or prejudice with other groups or peoples? Did they have a dislike for a neighboring nationality?

      My earlier guess that "kasha" might be "Kassa" is because Slovak (and Czech somewhat)is a phonetic language, and sometimes words change a bit in local dialect or softening of a sound. Other times distances are mixed up (in this case I was jumping 400 miles due to the sound!)

      Another source to check is the Delphi forum at
      http://forums.delphiforums.com/iarelative
      which has some good Czech sleuths on board. If you do have additional hints we asked for, share them there as well!

      Ron

      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "T" <h_tollefson2001@...> wrote:

      > On a piece of paper my grandma wrote "my father was born in kasha rotsa Czechoslovakia". I think it mentioned it being 30 or 50 miles from prauge, I can't remember which. I have no idea what this means or if its a place or what. I thought kasha was a type of hot cereal. Can someone help with this?

    • Show all 16 messages in this topic