35767Re: [S-R] New Member - Scorby/Scerba/Scorba and Bartko

  • Karen C
    Apr 14, 2013
      Hello Karin,

      This is going to be a long shot but here goes...  I found an ancestry indexed record in 1900 of a John Sabol (b. Jan. 1886 in Austria), all other children in the family were born staring in 1887 in Illinois.  His parents listed as Andrew & Mary.  The census record is very faded but shows them living at 1507 Union.  On the previous pages at 1401 Union lived John & Mary Scorbie.  I never find another Andrew and Mary, but I do find Andrew and Susan (Susanna) living again at 1507 Union.
      http://tinyurl.com/cceg5kx

      I also found Andrew (widow) with children Andrew Jr. (b. 1897), Emma (b. 1904) & Mary (b. 1901).  This puts he number of children from 7 in 1900 census to at least 9 by 1904.  On the previous page is an Andrew & Suzie Sabol living at 1504 Union, arrival 1889.
      http://tinyurl.com/d26sdc5

      The above record fits month/year of birth (Jan 1886), place of birth (Austria on some records) and immigration at age 1 on some records.  They live in Streator and down the street from a Scorbie.  Is it possible that he could be a Sabol/Sabel but changed his name for some reason.  Or his family changed their name.

      On ancestry.com
      Andrew Scherba (death record)
      http://tinyurl.com/brt7ry9%c2%a0%c2%a0

      On www.findagrave.com
      Russion Orthodox Cemetery there lists:

      Andrew Scherba, 1852-1925

      Susanna Scherba, 1855-1939

      Riverview Cemetery lists:
      Andrew Sabol, unknown-1924  (see death index on ancestry)
      Mary Sabol, unknown-1916

      Karen