35741Re: [S-R] New Member - Scorby/Scerba/Scorba and Bartko

  • rd1995
    Apr 10, 2013
      Is it possible that there was a Scorby/Scerba/Scorba family back then that was not Roman Catholic? Maybe they were Lutheran or Evangelical? Maybe the baptism records are in another church, even in a nearby town?

      The way that Jack/John's family hasn't turned up in the Censuses must be frustrating. Could they have lived in another ward of Streator or perhaps even Spring Valley or Braidwood?

      I stumbled across a book from a university press that, although it is ostensibly trying to discuss how Scottish miners in Streator compared with their cousins in Scotland in the 19th century, the book also has a lot about the mine employers and mix of different ethnic groups as workers in the Streator Illinois area. It's called "Colliers Across the Sea" by John H. M. Laslett.

      You can see a lot in previews through Amazon: how many Slovaks ended up in the area called "Coalville", how a young Czech Anton Cermak (later Chicago mayor, killed in an assassination attempt on FDR) once lived in Braidwood, how the houses were tinderboxes and burned down often, all the strikes, etc.

      I think it would be worth asking your local public library to borrow a copy through Interlibrary Loan, if only for background. The book's references might also give you some ideas. For example, I saw a reference to WPA interviews in the book's bibliography, but they don't seem to be digitized in the Library of Congress' small WPA section online.

      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Karin Weiss <karinsw@...> wrote:

      > I have baptismal records I obtained from the Peoria Catholic Diocese and
      > from St. Michael the Archangel Parish (was St. Stephen Roman Catholic
      > Church) for 12 children born to John and Mary.
      > I am very much open to suggestions.

    • Show all 14 messages in this topic