35728Re: [S-R] New Member - Scorby/Scerba/Scorba and Bartko

  • Karin Weiss
    Apr 9, 2013
      Karen - I have used that particular web site quite a lot, as my
      husband's family is almost all in the area of Coos and Curry County.
      Also we have visited the Bandon Museum, a really fine small museum - one
      of the best I have been to and I am a great fan of museums. They
      provided me with many obits - very few Scorby obits, though. None for
      John. Or Jessie, his second wife.

      Or third - there is an outside chance he married a woman named Mabel
      Holmes at a very young age in Streator. Then they went to Colorado,
      divorced , went back to Streator separately, and then John went to
      Washington state and then Oregon. I still need to order that divorce
      record. I do have the marriage record and it looks to be yet another
      John Scorby.

      It does strike me, though, that I have not visited either the Bandon or
      the Coquille Libraries, and I ought to do that. We are in Bandon a few
      times a year, as my husband's parents live there. I will make a point
      to do that soon. Thank you for pointing me in that direction. I have
      found a great deal of interest in searching microfilms of the old
      newspapers from the Wisconsin town where my father's family came from -
      it has been fascinating. You learn things you can't learn any other way.

      Karin Schuette Weiss