35727Re: [S-R] New Member - Scorby/Scerba/Scorba and Bartko

  • Karin Weiss
    Apr 9, 2013
      On 4/5/2013 7:13 AM, Margo Smith wrote:

      > Have you considered looking for the obits of John and Mary to see who
      > are listed as their children?

      I did in fact find an obit for Mary Bartko Scorby some time ago. She
      died in 1921 in Streator, Illinois, and there was an obituary in the
      Streator Daily Free Press. According to that, she was survived by her
      husband, John, and by six children - five at home and one daughter in
      Orient, Illinois. The five children at home were George, Steve, John,
      Frank and Rose. That is not our John. That would be a son born in 1902.

      I have baptismal records I obtained from the Peoria Catholic Diocese and
      from St. Michael the Archangel Parish (was St. Stephen Roman Catholic
      Church) for 12 children born to John and Mary. They had three sons
      named John (1886, 1888 and 1902) and two daughters named Mary (1885 and
      1896). The entire family in order: Anna, Maria, John, John, George and
      Theresa (twins), Stephen, Maria, Emma, John, Rose and Frank. I know
      from census records that some of these children died, but don't yet know
      which ones. It is a slow process obtaining records from the Diocese, as
      I can only ask for four at a time. I will be asking for four deaths of
      children next and then I will begin to know more.

      I do know that our John claims he was born in 1886. His draft
      registrations and later census records and death certificate all bear
      that date. John and Mary had a son named John that year. I know of a
      family in my ancestry (a German family) who named six sons Frederick.
      Only one died. They only actually called one Fred. And thus far I
      cannot fit our John into any other Scorby family. So until I see that
      he dies, I guess I've been hanging on to the hope that they chose to
      forget him after he left home. He appears to be the only one who
      strayed very far.

      The Andrew Scorby family had two children - Andrew and Susie.

      Then there was the Joseph and Susan Bartko Scorby family. It appears
      very possible that Joseph Scorby was a brother to John Scorby and Susan
      Bartko may have been a sister to Mary Bartko. I believe they had seven
      children - Anna, Mary, Susanna, Clara, John, Stephen and Agnes. Not
      enough for the photograph.

      I am very much open to suggestions.

      Karin Schuette Weiss.