35441Belnay - Slavish

  • Ron
    Mar 10, 2013
      Lynne,

      Centering on your question of Slavish, I refer you to Prof. Votruba at
      http://www.pitt.edu/~votruba/qsonhist/slavicslovak.html

      which most all of us would agree is likely the most authoritative and complete answer you will find.

      That is drilling down pretty deep into his great information, and certainly reading through his web site, the questions and the answers, is a great start to learning many, many things about our ancestors. Two more general addresses to his site are:

      http://www.pitt.edu/~votruba/qsonhist/qsonhist.html
      for queries on History, and

      http://www.pitt.edu/~votruba/ for his full web site.

      You can also go to our Yahoo Groups website for Slovak Roots and use the search function to draw up past discussions on any key word, or do the same at Slovak World.

      Dr Votruba does not keep his writings static, but is adding and expanding them as time goes. He also opened a discussion forum to compliment Slovak World at
      https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!forum/slovak-spot

      Good reading! Our ancestors led interesting lives and our hunt is fascinating with the variety of cultures, languages and varieties of place names in each language. We have Slovak, Hungarian, Latin, German and Rusyn.Cyrillic to deal with, and perhaps a few more - Polish in some circumstances, Czech, and varieties of Cyrillic languages / dialects depending upon time, politics and location. It is as much fun as if we came from center of the Lord of the Ring series.

      Ron

      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Lynne Wilson <sandalfoot0505@...> wrote:

      > Well, I certainly need to learn my history! I mean world history in general.
      >
      > Thank you for this information.
      >
      > I am looking forward to digging deeper and coming up with my true ancestry!
      >
      > Something rather odd, is that my father and several of my father's friends
      > often referred to themselves as "Slavish." Does this mean anything to you?
      > Have you ever heard "Slavish" before? Maybe anglicizing "Slovak". It sounds
      > to me that they were Slovak!
      >
      > I am thinking somewhere in their history in the USA somebody decided they
      > were Czech, with the coming of Czechoslovakia after WW1 and that was that.
      > But I do need to do more research to get to the bottom of this!
      >
      > Thank you so much once again.
      >
      > Lynne

    • Show all 30 messages in this topic