35151Re: [S-R] Alias Confusion (3 names)

  • htcstech
    Feb 6, 2013
      Thank you Curt!
      Your explanation summarises the alias events very well.
      I have an oral history (told in 2012) where some branches of the family
      were differentiated by nicknames, though still keeping the family name.
      The first example was of 'Bartosi Marafko' who bought the land owned by
      Bartos and the other, 'Olle Marafko' or 'Marafko Olle' where the maiden
      name was used.
      Neither became aliases or recorded in church books. It was and still is
      used for identification in general conversation as a convenience.

      You raise an interesting point about literacy.
      Most of us have only the church archives to examine where considerable
      spelling variations occurred. If the individual (let's say a marriage pre
      1869) was literate and the scribe wrote the name incorrectly, would he have
      an opportunity to read the entry and suggest correction? Were the entries
      only for the perusal of the priests? Did tax officials have access to these
      records?
      It is difficult to find information regarding schooling from 1770 onwards.
      I understand that there was an education revolution during the
      industrialisation era of 1880 onwards, but prior to that I've only found a
      few references to the advent of Lutheran schools and guilds and the
      establishment of Catholic schools as a reaction to this as part of the
      anti-reformation movement. I think much of this schooling had a lot to do
      with the Estate owners. I know that Esterhazy (the Matyusfold Estate in
      Galanta) built an orphanage which may have also included a school.
      What is known about early schooling?

      Thank you

      Peter M.