35150Re: [S-R] Alias Confusion (3 names)

  • CurtB
    Feb 6, 2013
      Eric,
      In raising the question of the Alias or "do' name it is important to remember that this was not a uniform practice over time and place, but varied until it disappeared at the beginning of the 20th century.

      That is, it was much more common in small communities that were partially illiterate, oral cultures, and without possessing documents. Their births, deaths, and marriages were simply recorded by clergy in the church books according to what the clergy either 'knew' or the people told them. People did not even remember their birthdays accurately,but they celebrated saint's days which were known through the church calendar.

      Aliases or name changes came about from the case you mention here but also but also following spousal deaths and remarriages. So children of first marriages followed by a death of a father and a mother's remarriage often took on the name of the second father with no formal procedure in place, just custom. It just became too difficult for neighbors to remember what to call which child. My own grandmother was married twice and the children of the first marriage took on the name of her second husband without much question, though within the family we knew the whole story and differentiated them with an alias. Our grandmother's entire family also had a third alias to differentiate it from from another set of rather distant cousins who shared first names. This alias persisted even when the original last name was no longer shared by women who had married and had children.

      Some aliases were taken on by which house one might move into. It was rare to move into a house not inherited in some way so when it happened one might be called by a name of a former family who occupied that home. So a man might be called by neighbors - John Smith who lives in the Zobrak home - and eventually just John Zobrak.

      Some aliases were taken on by men who married a woman in another village and went to live with her family. Since local villagers knew her family but not him, he would just take on her family name.

      Some aliases were taken on by men who married women of different class, or who were owners or heiresses of land when the husband was not.

      And while I have not found a case in church records, it seems not unlikely that, just as in this country presently, people sometimes take on an alias by moving and escaping a bad reputation.:)

      Curt B.

      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "tkejuice1208" wrote:

      > Thanks to all who have provided input. These discussions are always very interesting and I encourage additional input that may be of value. To answer a previous question, I have not yet seen the alias in reverse (Hajducsek, alias Skop).
      >
      > As the wheels continue to turn in my head, I thought of an event that may trigger an alias. Please let know if you can verify such an occurrence or otherwise know this to be true. The scenario is that unwed mother gives birth to child "A" (illeg). Child is baptized with mother's maiden surname. Mother marries and had additional children who carry the surname of the father. Child "A" has mother's maiden surname, but can be associated with the family unit/household that bears the surname of the husband, therefore triggering the alias by association.
      >
      > Thoughts?

    • Show all 15 messages in this topic