34968[S-R] Re: Missing Online 1869 Census Records have restrictions

  • CurtB
    Jan 3, 2013
      Peter,
      You seem determined not to understand.

      None of the 1869 census records that are in the Presov archive covering the Zemplin territory villages have been approved for online status. They are being reviewed NOW. They are likely to be approved for release. This is NOT a political decision. So far the only Slovak films specifically not released for online status have been films that contain data that exceed Slovak statute of limitations of information of 100 years.
      The Presov archive is very understaffed and has other projects to finish first.

      Each film must be reviewed by the holding archive of the original documents. It took several years for baptismal, marriage, death records to be reviewed and released, and so they appeared online sequentially village by village over several years as indexers carrried out their work. There is still more work to be done here on several villages.

      In the meantime people can still borrow the films already in existence so the data is not being held secret. The only related archives that decline to make anything available except by visit to the archive are a number in Hungary.
      The related archives of the Ukraine and Poland are also entirely unavailable except by personal visit.

      Slovakia is the rare exception among national archives that has made so much data available, but there is still a long way to go because it takes so large financial resources to film or place online such records. The family history library is maintained by the Mormon church which supplied the millions it required to produce the Slovak records online.

      CB