34962Re: [S-R] Missing Online 1869 Census Records have restrictions

  • htcstech
    Jan 2, 2013
      I did look at the geography of the town as old Zemplen is now split between
      Hungary and Slovakia as being the probable cause. As far as I know, the
      Hungarians haven't released the census to the public domain, well at least
      it is not available on-line anywhere so your theory is probably right, but
      if certain 'Slovak' Zemplen records are available then why does the LDS
      release all of them?
      I think the strategy would be to ask for a review to make all these records
      online or at least a better explanation of why they are not.
      My theory is slightly different, though a bit convoluted: That the ethnic
      border and political borders are causing angst and the LDS wants to remain
      neutral. All it takes is an objection from one side and I would think the
      LDS would have complied.
      There is a precedent of sorts where a scholarly work on the diaspora of
      17th century (within present day Slovakia) was used by a Hungarian
      organisation to show that there were actually very few Slavics*, opposing
      the current views especially of the Czechoslovak Republic (post Trianon)
      and the Slovak government contention that these areas were historically
      Slavic. So I can see a Slovak objection if some of those southern Zemplen
      towns were ethnically Hungarian in 1869. A prickly subject.

      Peter M.