34734Re: [S-R] Re: Place of Birth on Ellis Island Manuscript MORAVKO

  • htcstech
    Nov 30 3:37 AM
      MEH! I just paid $35 because ancestry com had 'further information'.
      I was hoping that the birthplace was written somewhere else....
      Well I viewed the transcript and the birthplace was transcribed as LETRO
      KOCENTERKY from the same document I've been staring at for the last 2 days
      - Please tell me that's a Slovak village somewhere!

      In the meantime, I captured a 400% cut of the word(s) and image manipulated
      it with contrast and brightness.
      If you do that, you can see pressure points, fade in and out to see other
      letters etc.
      In the end I had a list of possible variations like:
      Kooshovfalu <- you get this if you experiment with the last few letters
      Kocestorta ~ arfa ~ tarka~ etc etc etc
      Nothing on fallingrain, Cisarik or Fuzzy Gazetteer got close, with or
      without the 'Felso=Letro' prefix.

      So I'm coming to the conclusion that the place disappeared or absorbed and
      there is no surviving record of it.

      What's also strange, is that there is no record of him in Slovakia or
      Hungary - no marriage or birth, no death record, military, or US residency
      at the moment. I'll try and look up his wife, Maria in Joko which
      apparently is Nyitra RC as first port of call.

      Thanks for your help everyone.

      Peter M.

      Transcript follows:

      Name:Sándor MoravkóArrival Date:5 May 1909Birth Date:abt 1878 Birth
      Location:Hungaria, HungaryBirth Location Other:letro kocenterkyAge:31Gender:
      MaleEthnicity/ Nationality: SlovakianPort of Departure:BremenPort of
      Arrival:New York, New YorkShip Name:Friedrich Der Grosse