34497Re: Need Help

  • CurtB
    Oct 9, 2012

      You are right that the Hungarian name for the village was Varhosszuret, or some variation thereof. So that is what you will find on any Hungarian map. But be sure to also look in the indexes of the Hungarian Gazeteers of the ninteenth century which also list the other names in contemporary use; Langewiese as the German name, and Dluha Luka as the Slovak usage. Hungarians created these indexes because they were just as confused as we are by the variant names.

      Curt B.

      > Here's another application of "The Adam Theorem", or "The Two Village Rule", not referenced by anyone in recent times.
      > Refer to the Gomor Megye 1910 map at http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/maps/1910/gomork.jpg
      > Look three villages southeast of Krasnohorske Podhradie to find Lucska. OK, so the theorem is not perfect. The village is mapped today as Lucka. The village mentioned in another reply that is now shown as Krasnahorska Dlha Luka (one village south) was then mapped as Varhosszuret.
      > Take your pick.
    • Show all 12 messages in this topic