34476Re: [S-R] GIRGOSKO-SALAMON-BEDNAR-SZERVILLA SAROS PALOCSA M. HUNGARY

  • William C. Wormuth
    Oct 6, 2012
      Michale,

      I didn't explain the accent marks because I was in a hurry.  I wish we could write the names with accent marks and all would be able to see them.

      Plavec, (accent over the c) [Plahvehch-kee] District, Saris County Sabinov, country Presov,(accent over the s)   until 1960; County Presov, from 1968 County Stara Lubovna. Country East Slovakia.

      There is also Plavnica, [Plahvneets-ah] which is in District Saris, (accents over both s) [Shahrr-eesh]; County Stara Lubovna; Country Presov,
      (accent over the s ) [Prreh-shohv] from 1968 County Stara Lubovna. Country East Slovakia.The use of the Phone directory is very useful but if there is not a listing it does not, (100%), mean there is no one of that name.
      For me to list the female as well as male listings is tedious and all should try to use the directory.  Although your comment,  "an OVA ending on a surname indicates a female" is correct, there are female names which simply use an accent mark over the a.  Female for Komorny [Kohmohrr-nee] is Komorna [Kohmorr-nah] accent mark over the a.

      The Questions listed by Darah are common for people who are not familiar with Hungarian spelling and pronunciation of names and places and I consider my comments to be most useful in questions concerning names and places.

      Z Bohom,

      Vilo.