34457place of birth, was Re: [S-R] Ship Record

  • Julie Michutka
    Oct 3, 2012
      On Oct 2, 2012, at 7:37 PM, MGMojher wrote:

      > I looked a the US Censuses from 1900 to 1930, Alexander Kozub gave his immigration year as 1887. Although he did change his nationality to Austrian and birthplace Austria.

      I would be careful about assuming that Kozub changed his reported nationality, for two reasons. First, those census records do not indicate who the informant was; there's no way to tell if Kozub himself supplied that info, or another family member, or a neighbor. Second, the census takers actually had rules about how to report nationality and birthplace; it's possible that "Austria" was the accurate designation (for US census records) for anywhere in the Austro-Hungarian empire before WW I. One would have to look up the enumerator instructions for the particular census to find out.

      Julie Michutka
      jmm@...