34011Re: [S-R] Re: Ruska Nova Ves + Indexing Records

  • Elaine
    Aug 5, 2012
      Ron, the background you've provided is very helpful, especially to those of us with family from eastern Slovakia but not Rusyn.

      To anyone on this forum who has family who was Greek Catholic, I encourage you to do some indexing of the Slovak records currently listed on Family Search. Since I found both my Roman Catholic maternal lines either via microfilm or, more recently, in the LDS FamilySearch general search function, I wanted to give back by indexing records marked as "Slovensky-...." (Sorry, I don't remember the rest, it's a long title!). The listing says these records are in German, but that is not correct, they are eastern Slovakian 1800s Greek Catholic records in Latin. Some of them have been in Cyrillic; I had to send those back.

      Recently, I saw a Wiki update that said 1.9 million Slovak records (I may be a little off on this, but for sure it was over a million) had been indexed. Possibly these were originally marked as Hungarian, since so many of the church records were in that language. When I last searched, my families from eastern Slovakian towns did not appear when I searched for them, so they are not yet indexed.

      I'd love to "compare notes" if anyone else has been indexing!

      Elaine