34003Re: Ruska Nova Ves

  • AnnieW
    Aug 5, 2012
      Thank you everyone for your responses I find this this topic very interesting. I'm slowly finding out more and more about the Rusyn side of the family, and like Ron no one had any idea they were Rusyn until I started doing the research! I hope to go to the Carpatho-Rusyn museum in PA sometime soon.

      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Ron" <amiak27@...> wrote:

      > Wow, Just was in the middle of an answer and Yahoo came up with some floating message system that took over my screen as I wrote. This is my third attempt to write this....
      >
      > From the 1877 Gazetteer of Hungary:
      > Ruska Nova Ves was called Soosujfalu (single accent over the second o)
      >
      > Soosujfalu, Saros/Siroka. {Ruszkanowawes} Now: Ruska Nova Ves, SlRp. RCath: Sovar - 2; GkCath: EPERJES - 550; Izr: - 5.
      >
      > This is interpreted as:
      >
      > Soosujfalu, - as it was called in 1877
      > Saros/Siroka. county and district
      > {Ruszkanowawes} alternate name
      > Now: Ruska Nova Ves, SlRp. current name, in Slovak Republic
      > RCath: Sovar - 2; 2 Roman Catholics who attended services in Sovar
      > GkCath: EPERJES - 550; Greek Cath. church in town, belonging to the Eperjes/ Presov diocese
      > Izr: - 5. 5 Jewish (Israelite) residents
      >
      > Welcome to the world of Carpatho-Rusyn with all of our complex history and conflicting information! I was born and raised in the USA as a good Slovak boy and found out at age 50 that I am at least half Rusyn. I have confirmed it multiple ways, with cousins in the Old Village, who also confirmed that our Rus have nothing to do with the Moscow Rus or Russian, even though it is so often confused in the USA.
      >
      > 100 to 200 years ago the concepts of national identification were just developing in many countries, and the emigration to the USA started before the Rusyn had a chance to solidify theirs. The process is ongoing today.
      >
      > With two alphabets (Cyrillic and Latin; my village of Sulin (Sulyn in Rusyn orthography) used the Latin alphabet for Rusyn writings and prayer books) and all of the changes in spelling convention in the last 200 years, complicated by grammatical changes in spelling and endings, I cannot speculate that Russkii or Ruskie in 1890 refers to Russian or to Rusyn, or Rusin as it was once spelled. Personally I like the plural Rusini today, but convention calls for y in place of some I's.
      >
      > Ron
      >

      > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "AnnieW" <annduardo@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Does anyone know off hand how heavily of an influence the Rusyns had in this area? Is Greek Catholic an indicator of this?

    • Show all 14 messages in this topic