33994RE: [S-R] Re: Ruska Nova Ves

  • Sue Martin
    Aug 5, 2012
      From the brenzovich.us web site, regarding the Carpatho-Rusyn people:

      "Their language is an East-Slavic dialect and is written in the Cyrillic alphabet, developed in the 9th century by Saint Cyril. The Carpatho-Rusyn language is grammatically and etymologically related to the other East-Slavic languages of Russian, Byelorussian and in particular Ukrainian (many linguist consider the Carpatho-Rusyn language is a dialect of Ukrainian). However living in close proximity to the West-Slavic people of Poland and Slovakia, and the non-Slavic Hungarians; the Carpatho-Rusyn language has been influenced by these languages as well."

      I.e., it's a Slavic language, and would be able to be mutually understandable by Russians, Ukrainians, and possibly Slovaks as well.

      Sue

      -----Original Message-----
      From: "AnnieW" <annduardo@...>
      Sent: Sunday, August 5, 2012 10:48am
      To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [S-R] Re: Ruska Nova Ves

      I keep getting different answers. My husbands grandfathers side were Rusyns from now Poland and they erred on the side of calling themselves Russian. To me it seems there must have been a mutual intelligibility between the far eastern Slovak dialects and that spoken by the Carpatho Rusyns but I have been also told they are two totally different languages and groups. I know Rusyns probably more so from Galicia used the Cyrillic alphabet but I heard recently from someone on hear I believe their Rusyn ancestor used the roman alphabet.