33991Re: Ruska Nova Ves

  • AnnieW
    Aug 5, 2012
      I'm getting a little confused... My husbands Ivanko/Kmetz family in Yonkers attended a roman catholic Slovak church and was always told his grandmother spoke slovak and prided on being Slovak. In fact im told the Slovak family didnt even like his GReek Catholic Rusyn Grandfathers family, his Gma married a Rusyn from the former Galicia. But now that I found his "Slovak" families birth records and ancestral village Ruska Nova Ves this Saros region had a lot of Rusyns in it and the birth records and 1869 Slovakia census says the family was Greek Catholic hich is an indicator of being Rusyn....

      The Ivankos, Petruskas and Desatniks (all decendants) all say Greek Catholic. The Janos Kmecz/Kmetz the Petruskas GGma married says was Roman Catholic from Kokosovce according to that census. Perhaps all those lines were Rusyn and the Kmetz line is Slovak? It just blows my mind that they may be Rusyn at all, it just contradicts everything that was told about his grandma being Slovak and she herself calling herself Slovak...

      all though it does make more sense than as to how my mother in law says her parents would speak a different language to one another, she never knew what they were speaking. She was brought up believing they were Russian since her father attended the Russian orthodox church. But I have since discovered they were Rusyns from now Gorlice county.