33968Re: [S-R] Opinions on in-country research

  • htcstech
    Aug 3, 2012
      I too did the same. But I also went a step further and created a separate
      FB page just on my genealogy. Within a month I got some interest and it
      turned out that a missing branch of the family (left home town in 1850's)
      made contact!
      I can't describe how wonderful that felt as we both worked hard on
      determining the links between both families. Even though we're effectively
      strangers, the common link and the shared ancestry has 'wowed' us both and
      has actually raised the consciousness of everyone involved, all thanks to
      Facebook (which I don't like for privacy reasons), Skype and Twitter.
      I'm going next year. I'm buying a car ($1000 buys you something
      adequate+GPS unit) and travelling around Slovakia knocking on doors of
      suspected relatives and also organizing everyone to meet up in the home
      town for a huge family gathering, from the UK, Germany, Austria, Hungary
      and Slovakia. The UK link came via Twitter. All I did was to create an
      account and searched for the family name, left an sms to contact me by
      email.

      Peter M.