33688Re: [S-R] Josif Stucka, Stuczka

  • Ron
    Jul 4, 2012
      Vilo,

      We disagree, but I am happy for the conversation and thoughts to consider.

      Yes, mention of the Morava River in Serbia is relevant simply because it is sometimes confused with the Slovak-Czech Morava, and anyone researching or reading about it should be aware, so they can avoid the confusion themselves. There are even historians who have argued that Greater Moravia was centered in Serbia rather than in Czecho-Slovakia.

      On another point, I do not consider Morava and Mähren and Moravia translations of one another. That would be like saying the Moldau and Vltava are translations, when in reality they are two different names for the same river.

      Related, perhaps is the example Zuzanna and Zsuzsanna in Slovak and Hungarian, differences in orthography of the different languages. We also must consider how the orthography (spelling) has changed over time as writing standards change.

      150 years ago we would have said the Neanderthal skeleton was found in the Neanderthal Valley. Today we say the Neanderthal skeleton was found in the Neandertal Valley, a change in orthography, but not in the proper name.

      Ron