      From: Ron <amiak27@...>
      To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Friday, June 1, 2012 8:35 AM
      Subject: [S-R] Re: "Slavish" means Carpatho-Rusyn?

      I borrowed directly from the site David lists below:
      *********
      Slavish, Slovac, Slavack...

      When the immigrants used English in the 19th and early 20th centuries, they were often as uncertain of the English versions of their ethnic names as the Americans were confounded by the similarity. In addition to calling their fraternals and parishes Slovak, some Slovak-Americans would name them Slovac and Slavish. The word Slovak generally replaced other versions in the names of Slovak-American organizations by the mid-1920s. Although not as common in Slovak-American documents, English-language sources also used Slavack, Slovish, and similar words. Context is usually required to clarify whether the reference was to the Slovaks, Slavs, or Slovenes.
      *******

      I have one cousin who uses Slavish to this day to refer to us. I always took it as old time immigrant language, much as references to Slovakland, which were quite clear in meaning when used so long ago.

      The English word slavish as in slavish devotion, I always associated with old slavery as well, but have never studied the etymology. Jumping to conclusions from simple similarity can be dangerous, as associating Germs with Germany.

      During this ongoing visit to Eastern Slovakia I have been getting good exercise to my poor command of Slovak, but am improving. They Rusyn I am exposed to is quite different. The Easter Slovak dialect, however, presents no problem.

      That is one experience.

      Vilo, do you find the use only in English, or was it used by the old immigrants you knew over here?

      Ron