33046Re: [S-R] Latin help please: Militis Patentalis and Patentalis Militis?

  • CurtB
    May 27, 2012
      David,
      I am not sure why you find this expression difficult. It is very plain vanilla Latin. Pretty consistent through hundreds of years of usage and the expression comes over into many modern languages, especially legal terminology, and even in ordinary language as in the English word "patently" meaning "obviously". Every student in Latin composition has to learn to use this one both in the adjectival form and as descriptive genitive.

      Miles - Militis; soldier

      Patens - Patentis, patentalis = participle from patere - open or public

      Words here are used together in the descriptive genitive form.

      Patens simply means "public" as in "letters patent" a right or privelege granted by official letters or public documents. So a person described as 'Militis patentis' holds a military appointment or position.

      Patens or patentis is often used of any documentary or legal order for whatever purpose. The American use of patent, as in U.S. patent office comes from this legal usage. See any Latin legal dictionary or latin grammar for the descriptive genetive.

      Curt B.