      From: Michael Mojher <mgmojher@...>
      To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Tuesday, May 8, 2012 11:27 PM
      Subject: Re: [S-R] Stephen Antol - Uloza Slovakia

      Uloza is a village in Slovakia, okres/district of Levoca and kraj/state of Presov. It was in the Hungarian county of Spis.
      2519 Uloža LE/PV spiš.
      1773 Uloza, Kopern, 1786 Ulocza, Köpern, 1808 Ulosa, Ulozsa, Köpern, Köperehren, Uloža, 1863–1902 Ulozsa, 1907–1913 Kőperény, 1920 Úloža, 1927– Uloža

      From the Slovak 1995 Census, Here it says it in the okres/district of Spisska Nova Ves,V obci ULOŽA (okr. SPIŠSKÁ NOVÁ VES). The Census found these surnames there: ANTAL 7×; MOTYKA 6×, 7 and 6 males and ANTALOVÁ 8× and MOTYKOVÁ 5×, 8 and 5 females.

      http://en.e-obce.sk/obec/uloza/uloza.html This is a link to an information page on Uloza. On it is a link to the village website, it is all in Slovak. There is also an e-mail address that goes to city hall.

      Since Uloza is so small (186 people) it more than likely has not independent church. Which means it must be an affiliated parish. I looked for “related places” for Levoca. Surprisingly, Uloza was not on the list. Whereas the village further up the road, Vysne Repase, is a “related place” to Levoca.

      “Gebul Zips Saxons, who also owned it. His widow is mentioned in 1280, which is the oldest written records of the municipality. Then known by the name Olusa, in 1293 as Olus. Likely already in 1271 received the Community Zips Saxons, as a village belonging Levoca and its townspeople.” This was translated from the Historia from the village website by Google Translate. So, even though not recorded as being a “related place”, it seems obvious that Uloza is considered part of Levoca.