32161Re: [S-R] Surname "Balashazi", Baptismal term "Hazi" in Jordan River?

  • david1law@aol.com
    Mar 4, 2012
      Dear Elaine:

      Yes, I have seen the ending "ij" in various records, and when I just did a
      search now in the ARCANUM database for B*IJ (* wildcard asterisk), I came
      up with 54 instances of this sequence, and these date back in time to at
      least the 12th century (1196), where there was mention of the name "BYSSENIJ"
      which is elsewhere spelled "BYSSENI" and "BYSSENIJ" which is the name for
      the PECHENEGS, a Turkish tribe that came to Hungary in ancient times:

      _http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pechenegs_
      (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pechenegs)

      And in keeping with the earlier theme, of those 54 instances, 13 of those
      were the spelling of the name "BLASIJ" for "BLASII" including a reference to
      Saint Blaise as "SANCTI BLASIJ."

      Throughout my research endeavors for about the past ten years, I have ended
      up having to study up a bit on languages, especially Latin and Greek, as
      well as linguistics. One has to very careful in drawing certain
      conclusions, however, because sometimes, there may be words which are sound the same
      (homophones) and sometimes even spelled the same, but have very different
      meanings. Here is a good article from Wikipedia that gives a pretty good
      description and illustrations:

      _http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homophone_
      (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homophone)

      I believe that the "IJ" ending probably originated from a mistranscription
      of the original Latin because of bad penmanship and/or a misreading of the
      original Latin, and/or both, etc.

      By the way, the Slavic languages as well as the Hungarian language have
      declensions with different cases (such as nominative, genitive, dative,
      accusative, etc.) where the endings change based on the context of what is being
      written. The Latin and Greek languages also have declensions, and I
      recently found what I believe is the reason why a lot of the Slavic names end in
      the -OV and -OVA. In some cases, it appears to be a Latin
      mistranscription from the Greek letter NU which in its small case looks like a small "v"
      or a "u". In other words, the scribe knew Latin (but did not know Greek)
      and therefore transcribed the ending as "-OV" and "OVA" instead of the Greek
      "-ON" and "ONA" and

      I noticed the pattern in some of the Greek declension tables (see the
      illustration of the Second Declension):

      _http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ancient_Greek_grammar_(tables_
      (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ancient_Greek_grammar_(tables) )

      Best regards,

      David

      In a message dated 3/4/2012 3:30:32 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
      epowell@... writes:

      David,

      I appreciated reading your comments on the "i" "ii" endings on Latin
      records that became "yi" in Hungarian. In some of the Latin records I researched
      for my families in eastern Slovakia, I often came across an ending of "ij"
      (IJ)-- at least that's how I deciphered what looked like a "y" with a dot
      over each prong. Have you seen that variation?

      Elaine

      On Mar 4, 2012, at 2:00 PM, _david1law@..._ (mailto:david1law@...)
      wrote:

      > Dear Jane:
      >
      > The surname BALASHAZI (BALASHAZAI) essentially means "people/men/family"
      > from Balásháza. Records in Hungary were official written in Latin from
      the
      > beginning of the kingdom of Hungary until 1844-1849, and the "i" at the
      end
      > of the name generally indicates a place of origin. For example, the
      words
      > "Ungarii" and "Ungari" means "people from Hungary" or "Hungarians" and
      the
      > names "Germanii" and "Germani" in Latin mean "people from Germany" or
      > "Germans," etc. Please also be aware that the "ii" or "i" have often
      been
      > transliterated in Hungarian as a "y" or "yi" (these endings are very
      common
      > among Hungarians for the reason stated above), so please be aware that
      > BALASHAZI surname may also be spelled BALASHAZY, BALASZHAZYI,
      BALASZHAZI, and
      > BALASZHAZYI, etc.
      >
      > The root of the name Balásház literally means "Balás's House" from the
      > Hungarian name Balás (originally from the Latin name "Blaze") and the
      word
      > "ház literally means "house" in Hungarian. There is a village called
      Balásháza
      > (also spelled Balászháza) in Romania, which is known as "Blaj" in
      Romanian.

      > I've researched the Latin records in the Hungarian Archives ARCANUM
      > database (accessible through Bill Tarkulich's website at _www.iabsi.com_
      > (_http://www.iabsi.com_ (http://www.iabsi.com/) ) ) and BALASHAZ* (with
      the wildcard asterisk) comes back with