30805RE: [S-R] Emigration to Uruguay

  • Bonnie Burke
    Oct 31, 2011
      The Carpatho-Rusyn Society has a great picture of our Eastern European
      ancestors with "cowboy hats" in Argentina. I have an uncle who went there
      for work and a letter from him in Buenos Aires that my aunt shared with me.
      Unfortunately, he did not offer any information other than I will need to
      tell you the story sometime! I do not think he stayed long.

      I had the opportunity to go to Buenos Aires a couple of years ago. The first
      thing I did was go to the immigration museum. Pictures and percentages
      showed the immigration of many
      eastern European peoples. Since I am Rusyn, I went looking for Orthodox or
      Byzantine churches since the culture and the religion are so closely tied. I
      found an Orthodox church in Buenos Aires and went there for a service. I
      felt like I was in time travel. All the woman covered their heads with a
      scarf. I had slacks on and was given a skirt to wear. It was during the
      Orthodox Easter season and church Slavonic was being sung for many of the
      hymns. Some hymns in Spanish. You can imagine how I felt when I heard
      Christos Voskrese in Argentina. There were no pews and after the services
      there was a memorial service for the deceased with every one holding a
      candle. Yes, our ancestors are still there. I was not permitted to take
      pictures in the church. The church was filled with children. And yes, the
      church service lasted a long time.

      The unfortunate thing was that most people we met in the church and in
      Buenos Aires spoke only Spanish wish is pretty amazing for such a big city.
      I have tried e-mailing the pastor a couple of times and have not been able
      to break through to get more information. I think I will try again now that
      the topic has come up again. Maybe he has learned some English.

      I also went on a day trip to Uruguay. It is a short boat ride away. It is a
      very quaint town with a colonial flare.

      Bonnie