30419Re: [S-R] Cost of ticket to America

  • krisstrot@aol.com
    Sep 2, 2011
      Bill and all,
      I can only contribute what it cost to GO BACK to the old country.

      I have records from "Philadelphia Jewish Archives Center and Jewish Genealogical Society of Greater Philadelphia, comp. Philadelphia Bank Immigrant Passage Records, 1890-1949 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations Inc, 2008.

      Original data:

      People's Bank. Prepaid steamship ticket record, 1906-1948. Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.

      Blitzstein Steamship Company. Ticket purchase books and index, 1899-1930. Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.

      Rosenbaum Steamship Company. Ticket purchase books, 1890-1934. Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.

      This data is provided in partnership with JewishGen.org."

      Got the initial info from Ancestry.com - reference to film numbers, then I located the films for Lipshutz/People's Bank in Philadelphia, which I ordered from the FHC. These are bank records where people saved for passage for others to come to the U.S. It lists whose passage they are saving for, their address and age, the purchaser's address, and eventually what ship and when the voyage was made, in addition to the cost.

      In my case, the folks in Philadelphia saved money to GO BACK, so I have the very rare information we crave concerning returning to the homeland. The tickets for the husband and wife were $36.50 each, the 6 year old daughter was half that, $18.25, and the infant daughter (10 mo.) was $2.50. They traveled on the Hamilton Line's Graf Waldersee from Philadelphia to Hamburg. This was in May 1912. They made an initial deposit of $20

      I just noticed others on that page who are COMING TO the U.S., as follows:
      Bremen to Philadelphia, Lloyd Line, $44.50
      London to Philadelphia, White Star, $39.00
      Philadelphia to Alexandria, Hamburg American Line, $36.40

      It seems reasonable that going back was cheaper than coming to, since there was more demand for ships to cross to the west. Offering cheaper rates for going eastbound would help fill those mostly empty ships.

      Hope this helps.

      Kris in Texas