30408RE: [S-R] Cost of ticket to America

  • Judy Hogel
    Sep 1 10:36 AM
      To Frank,
      Peter and Jerry,

      Thank you
      for taking the time to respond to my questions.
      I continue to work on this and your information was helpful.

      For other SR
      members wondering about these kinds of things, SR member, Jerry, privately e-mailed
      me information about the Merika (http://muzej-rijeka.hr/merika/introduction.html)
      website. It contained lots of valuable
      information.

      I also
      discovered another website that has been very helpful. The Gjenvick-Gj�nvik Archives at http://www.gjenvick.com/ has copies of actual
      ship brochures and passenger tickets, including terms of the agreement. I was able to view several tickets for
      passage from England to N.Y. around the time of my interest. The tickets provided costs for rail and ship
      transport. The web site also provides a computation of the stated cost of the
      tickets at the time of purchase to a 2009 U.S. dollar amount. That is part of the information I was looking
      for. Even though these costs are
      calculated from England, it gives me a basis for comparison of what I was
      calculating for the 82 rubles from Libau.

      I am still
      working on how these costs fit into the per capita income in the immigrants� native
      countries and/or what they might have earned once they arrived in America. From what I see now, I wonder how they ever
      managed to pull together enough money to immigrate, let alone go back and forth
      several times as many of them did.

      I have most
      of the �facts� for my relatives, but am now trying to put it together with historical
      background information so that I don�t just have a list of names and dates.

      Thanks again
      for your suggestions.