30405RE: [S-R] Cost of ticket to America

  • Frank R Plichta
    Sep 1, 2011
      Judy,

      Check out the historical currenty exchange rates online.

      I experienced the same question on my grandfather's journey to America.
      Since I have in my possession his ship's ticket, I was able to convert his
      price paid of 944 French Francs in 1920 to US dollars at the 1920 exchange
      rate which equaled $115.40.

      Check out the site: Historical exchange rate data for 1919-1939, Norges
      Bank, Oslo Stock Exchange, Table A2, July 1920 where US$ 6.050 equals FRF
      49.50.

      Sorry that I do not have the web site only the reference.

      This will give you a place to start looking.

      Frank

      "Searching the world for PLICHTAs"

      _____